1 Second Street
The original part of this house was built in the early 1860’s by John Kelly. After his death it was sold to Alexander Houston who rented it to John Fish, a mechanic in charge of the wood department of the Croquet Manufacturing Company located on Main Street. During his occupancy the house was painted white and the blinds a bright red. In 1880 the house was sold to Walter Howard, an attorney. After Mr. Howard’s death in 1885 the house was sold at foreclosure to Harvey H. Curtiss for $2500. He improved it in 1889 by raising the wing part and putting on a new roof. In 1919 Mrs. Curtiss sold the house and it has seen seven or eight different owners since then. The rear portion was rebuilt during the 1950s and the garage was added.