17 Elm Street
This house was built about 1853 by Sanford Hooper, at that time proprietor of the large American Hotel located on Main Street. He and his wife moved west in 1856 and the house changed hands several times until 1863 when it was purchased by Pell and Mary Jane Teed who moved here from his father’s farm Teeds’ Corners in Leicester. Mr. Teed was artistic and inventive. He was responsible for the intricate detail seen on several of the porches (or stoops) added to houses in Geneseo in the style of the 1870’s and 1880’s. He also “originated some valuable machines,” according to his obituary, when he died in 1897. His wife had preceded him in death in 1890 and this house passed to their daughter, Mrs. John (Carrie) Balding and later to her son and his wife, Walter R. and Frances Balding. In 1964, it was purchased by Carmine Battaglia.