31 Main Street
The brick building at 31 Main Street was built about 1816 by Samuel Butler, a cabinet maker. About 1837 he moved west and sold the house to Jacob B. Hall, a fine artisan harness maker. He died in 1872, survived by his second wife and seven children. Mrs. Hall died in 1879 but the family kept the house until 1884. In 1880 a veranda was built across the front. Dr. Edward Southall purchased the house from the family in 1884 and used it as his residence and office for many years, retiring in 1938. He made extensive repairs in 1913-1914.Early in the 1950’s the house became the property of the late Judge and Mrs. George Newton. The first floor was used as his law offices and the second floor was remodeled into an apartment. After Judge Newton's death Robert Houston purchased the building and conducted his law practice here. Upon his elevation to the bench, he sold it to J. Michael Jones.
This is a fine brick Federal building that has seen some changes. The windows on the Ward Place side have been reduced in size and the original paned sashes in all of the windows have been replaced with single panes. The original fine pilasters of brick, flanking the front door are finely detailed and original, as are the broad overhanging eaves.