45 Main Street
The original part of this building was built in the early 1820’s for Jacob Hall for a harness shop. In 1856 it was sold to John Vorhees who remodeled the south part into a millinery shop for Mrs. Vorhees. John Vail, an attorney, purchased the building in 1863. He moved to Leicester in 1867 and the property then became the residence and jewelry store of John Davidson. He made some alterations in 1868 and extensively remodeled in 1885. John Davidson died in 1895. Following Mrs. Davidson’s death in 1902, the building was sold to Edward Carpenter who operated a paint shop. He made further alterations including the installation of new plate glass windows.
About 1952 Mr. and Mrs. Frank Correnti purchased the building for a children’s shop. Later it was owned by Mr. and Mrs. John Wallin who continued to carry children’s clothing but expanded to include women’s apparel in the late 1960’s. Mr. and Mrs. Wallin sold the property to Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Gibbs, Jr.