48 Second Street
The house on the southwest corner of Second Street and Center was built in 1871 for Dr. John Craig. Dr. Craig, a native of Antrim County, Ireland, immigrated to the United States in 1831. He first found employment in a dry goods store in Scottsburg, and then in a drug store in Dansville. From there he went on to study medicine, receiving his degree from Bellvue Medical College. He practiced in York for 15 years before moving to Geneseo in 1865, where he remained until his death in 1897 at the age of 88. The porch was added in 1887 by Pell Teed, a local artisan. Mr. Teed, considered a fine craftsman, was much sought after during the later 19th century by home owners making additions or alterations. The house remained the property of the Craig family and for several years it was rented by Mrs. Moses Boyd who conducted a boarding house here. In 1907, the Craig heirs sold it to John Hotchkiss.