53 North Street
This house was likely built in the mid-19th century. The 1852 map of the village shows a house here in the name of Andrew Willard. Early in his career Mr. Willard managed different farms for the Wadsworths and later became a partner in the coal and lumber business. In 1862 the house was sold to John and Susan Gummer. John Gummer came to Geneseo from England in 1851 and conducted a tailoring and clothing store. He served in the Civil War, but died in 1865 at the age of 51 from paralysis and a disease of the lungs. His wife then sold the house to John Corfield, who in 1873 sold it to William and Mary Buttery. William Buttery (also spelled Buttry) was a long-time employee of the Wadsworth family. He policed their properties and prepared the lands for every hunt. The Butterys did not live here but in a house on Second Street, which they built in 1874. He died in 1935 and in 1951 his widow sold the house to Leo. B. Spencer.