69 Second Street
The original part of this house was probably built sometime before 1850. In 1853 it was purchased by Andrew Butterway. He and Mrs. Butterway made it their residence for almost 50 years. Mr. Butterway conducted a successful furniture and undertaking business on Main Street for many years. In 1884, he had this house somewhat enlarged and a tower was added in front. An 1872 map shows the house with an “L” shape. Mr. Butterway died in 1899 and in 1912 the house was sold to Dr. Edward Southall, a prominent Geneseo physician. In 1925, it became the property of Samuel and Evelyn Jennings. Samuel Jennings was the editor of the Livingston Republican for several years. In 1926, he made extensive improvements to both the exterior and interior of the house, and he built a large garage. The Jennings sold the house to Mr. and Mrs. Leslie Hills in 1936, who sold it to Caroline Stewart in 1938. She sold it to Murray Gamble in 1945.