72 North Street
As nearly as can be determined the original part of this house was built about 1851-52 for William White. Upon its completion, he sold it to Mr. and Mrs. Mortimer Buell. At that time Mortimer Buell ran a hardware business at the south end of Main Street. In 1855 the Buells sold the house to John and Henrietta Levy, who sold it in 1868 to Harrison Weeks for $1200. Mr. Weeks conducted a meat market in the village. He must have made improvements and/or additions since in 1876 the house was sold to Harry Magee for $3000. The next owners were the Hallowells who purchased it in 1890. Frank Hallowell, who never married, lived here with his mother; after her death he resided here alone. He was something of a “Jack of all trades,” having been at various times a blacksmith, a restaurateur and a house painter. In 1929 he died from a fall from the roof of a house he was painting in York. To settle the estate, the house was sold the following year to George Schantz. In 1961 he sold it to Donald Brotzman. The following year he sold it to John Collison who sold it to William Scoville in 1967.