75 Second Street
During the 1850’s and the 1860’s, the site of the house at 75 Second Street was a beautiful, carefully tended garden, part of the property of the Honorable Scott Lord who lived in the house at 17 South Street. In 1872, he sold this corner lot to James and Helen Adams who built the present imposing Italianate villa in 1874. They resided here with their only son, George, and Mr. Adams’ sister, Mrs. Robinson. Mr. Adams was a prominent attorney who also served as District Attorney.
He died in 1901 and ownership of the house passed to their son, George. Mrs. Adams continued to live here with her son and his family until her death in 1912. When George Adams died in 1918, his wife moved to Massachusetts and for the next 34 years, the house was rented. Their daughter Katherine (Mrs. Perry Euchner) and her husband lived in a fine residence on Center Street; their other children had moved from Geneseo. In 1946, the house was sold to George Preston from Long Island, whose son was a member of the York Central School faculty. Paul and Shirley Hepler purchased it in 1959 and undertook the meticulous and extensive job of repair and preservation returning it to the handsome landmark it is today.