Geneseo’s Railway Station once located at the foot of Court Street was built in 1875 to replace an old one just to the south, which became a warehouse. This station served a short branch of the Erie Railroad that ran from Mt. Morris, where connections could be made to New York, Buffalo or Olean, to Avon where connections could be made to Rochester, Attica or Corning. Privately owned, this Depot with a waiting room heated by a pot-bellied stove, a baggage room and a ticket office, was cozy and friendly and served the community well for many years.
Rail service was abandoned in 1940 and the tracks were taken up soon after. Sometime later the Depot became the property of Champion Products, Inc. and was used as a warehouse. In November of 1975, Champion announced that it planned to raze it to make room for a parking lot. Following an emergency meeting with concerned preservation minded representatives of APOG, Champion agreed to put their plans in abeyance. The village became interested in seeing it moved to Highland Park for use as a recreation center and agreed to assist financially. With further funds from the Gannett Foundation, Children’s Artist Series, the Young at Heart and private sources, APOG was successful in the moving and restoration of the building. Additions put on after 1941 obscured the original architectural features, and they were removed. In February of 1976, the Depot made its journey to Highland Park. Dr. Paul Hepler headed a committee to restore and convert the building, and on July 4, 1976 it was turned over to the village as a meeting place and recreation facility in ceremonies presided over by APOG President, Jeanette McClellan and Mayor Ann Duff.