Life in Old Geneseo
This view from atop a house on Main Street shows the 1879 celebration of the centennial of the Sullivan Expedition. The large brick building in the right foreground is 121 Main Street, originally the concert hall. The image was taken from a glass plate.
Courtesy of Milne Library
This photograph probably shows a celebration of a fire department achievement or event. The words in the top triangle are “Hook and Ladder No. 1.” There is a man standing atop each post. The old courthouse is visible at the north end of Main Street.
Courtesy of Milne Library
This “maypole dance” is from about 1913. Minckler Drug Company produced many of the photographs of this era. It was located at the southeast corner of Main and Center Streets.
Courtesy of Milne Library
In the 1920’s, customers could expect good service! This image of Jas. M. Dwyer’s Grocery shows the kinds of goods that were available. A sign on the wall reads “1923” but the actual date of the photograph is not certain.
Courtesy of Livingston County Historian
In 1947, the last remaining blacksmith shop still in business was located on School Street.
Courtesy of Livingston County Historian