52 Center Street
Built about 1838 by Master Carpenter, Hugh McBride, the original part of this house was his residence until he built a home at 1 Elm Street. In 1867, he sold the Center Street house to Harvey Baker who came here from Sparta and resided here until his death in 1900. Harvey Baker made many improvements to the house including, in 1885, a roof of patent tin shingles. Mrs. Baker died in 1908 and the house was sold to Charles McCormick, who ran a saloon on Main Street. He sold it to Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Dwyer in 1912. Mr. Dwyer died in 1917 and in 1920 Mrs. (Bridget) Dwyer sold the house to Charles and Frances Austin. It continued in the hands of the Austin family for many years.