9 Center Street
The Spezzano office building on Center Street originally stood at 34 Main Street. Built in 1828 by Charles Colt for a store, it was a small one-story frame structure. In 1867, after Mr. Colt’s death, the building was remodeled and the roof was raised to accommodate law offices on the second floor. In 1887 when Campbell Young purchased the property for the purpose of erecting a large home, the Colt building was moved to 9 Center Street. An old blacksmith shop was torn down to make room. Since that time it has served a variety of purposes, including a bakery, tailoring establishment, and residence. There have been numerous and extensive alterations so that today it bears almost no similarity to its original form.