60 Second Street
The original part of this house was built in the mid 1830’s by Samuel Rambo on land he purchased from James Wadsworth. Samuel Rambo died in 1856 but his widow, Prudence, remained here until her death in 1880. Her executors sold the house to Mrs. Maria VanZandt for $2,000. Mrs. VanZandt was a widow, formerly from Geneseo, who returned here with her mother after her husband’s death in New York City. She made extensive enlargements and improvements. After her death in 1928, the house was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hopkins who completely remodeled it after plans by the talented architect Robert Sherlock.