16 Elm Street
The original part of this house was probably built about 1853 by Ephriam Willard. For the next several years, it was rented while ownership changed hands several times. It was occupied in the early 1850’s by H. H. Guitteau, an attorney. He purchased what is now Stonywold about 1860 and the house on Elm was then occupied by Julius Guitteau (relationship unknown). Walter McArthur, a blacksmith, purchased it in 1863. He died in 1876, and Mrs. McArthur sold this house to Mrs. Clara Griffin, a widow. She remarried in 1883 and the house later became the property of her son Floyd who lived here with his wife and seven children. For several years, he engaged in the dray business but later was employed by the oil company. They built a barn here in 1909. He died in 1922 but the house remained the property of the Griffin family until 1959.