Elm Street

Elm Street was opened in the early 1850’s to answer the need for more dwellings in the village.  On the east side most of the lots were purchased from Dr. Daniel Bissell who lived in the house now at 29 South Street and whose estate extended west to the corner of South and Elm and north to Center Street.  On the west side, the lots were, in general, purchased from Second Street property owners whose lands extended east to Elm. 

Elm Street, Early 1900's
Courtesy of Jon and Liz Porter