59 North Street
The original part of this house is thought to have been built about 1840 by Samuel Thompson. He died in 1844 but the house remained the property of the Thompson family for many years. An 1852 map of the village lists it as the property of “the widow Thompson.” Their son, Samuel, the next owner, was a veteran of the Civil War and for many years worked for Charles Wadsworth as a carpenter. In 1916, the house was purchased by William Walls and later inherited by Margaret Forsythe Kettenburg. In 1947, she sold it to William and Florence Staley and in 1952 it was purchased by Clinton and O. E. Stegner. The large western portion is an addition to the original.