14 Center Street
Moses Hunt built the original part of this house prior to 1837. He came to Geneseo in 1813 and ran a cabinet shop on Main Street. In 1837, he sold the house to Dr. Daniel Bissell. Dr. Bissell was born in Vermont in 1784, served in the War of 1812, and was in the battles of Lundy’s Lane and Fort Erie. He received his medical education after the war and practiced in Moscow, New York until moving to Geneseo in 1837.
In 1841, Dr. Bissell sold the house to Dr. Walter Lauderdale for $1,800. Dr. Lauderdale was born in Cambridge, New York in 1806 and was a graduate of Union College and Fairfield Medical College. He married Mary Ann Vance of Groveland in 1832 and they moved to Geneseo in 1837. (Their son, Walter, Jr., later built the house next door at 16 Center Street.) In 1868, Dr. Lauderdale, Sr., added an office to the east side of his residence at 14 Center Street. Although he died in 1893, both of the houses remained the property of the Lauderdale family until after the deaths of Dr. and Mrs. Lauderdale, Jr., in 1933 and 1934. At that time, their daughter, Helen, sold the 14 Center Street property to Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Aprile.