32 Second Street
Now a two-story structure, the original lower part of this house was built sometime between 1823 and 1830 by Philip Jackson. An 1830 census lists him as the only member of the household. In 1835, he sold it to Samuel Gardiner, an early cabinet maker, who died in 1858 followed by Mrs. Gardiner in 1861. Their only son, Samuel, Jr., had moved to New York City about 1845 but he retained possession of the house and rented it out. In 1874, he made improvements costing $500 and in 1879 he added verandas to the front and side. Samuel Gardiner, Jr., was a brilliant inventor and in 1865 was awarded a government contract to light the dome of the Capitol in Washington – the first time it had ever been lighted. He did so by lighting gas with electricity. Samuel, Jr., died in 1880 but his estate retained possession of the house until 1914 when it was sold to Dr. Edward Southall. At this time, it was in decidedly poor condition. Dr. Southall repaired and remodeled it and the following year sold it to Mrs. Catherine McMillian. The house saw various owners over the following years until it was purchased by Mrs. Jonathan and Miss Bertha Lederer. They added the garage and two dormer windows to the low side of the house. They also moved the entrance door to the center of the front porch and made other general improvements that enhanced its attractiveness.