42 Second Street
This house was reconstructed from an old one about 1868 by Mr. and Mrs. William Walker. Mr. Walker was a partner in a private banking concern, which conducted a successful business in Geneseo for a number of years. Mrs. Mary Ann Walker was the only daughter of Charles Colt, one of the earliest pioneers to arrive in Geneseo. Mr. Walker died three years after the house was completed. His wife continued living there until 1888 when she sold it and went to live with her brother, Henry V. Colt on Center Street.
Dr. and Mrs. Marvin Rowland, who purchased the property from Mrs. Walker, made no known changes to the exterior of the house. Dr. Rowland died suddenly in 1895 and in 1899 Mrs. Rowland sold the residence to the Samuel Barbers who moved there from their farm in Groveland. It was during the Barbers’ ownership that a serious fire nearly destroyed the barn in the rear and threatened adjoining buildings. This barn was later rebuilt and is part of the present property. For many years, 42 Second Street was owned by Dr. Roy Countryman, math professor at the Normal School. Later on, it was owned by Grant Parker’s aunt, then the Wallins.
This bell tower house of early Victorian concept has a dentilated frieze and wide eaves with strong brackets. Symmetrical bay windows grace the façade and the strong paint colors add to its distinction.