99 Main Street
It is thought that the original part of this building was built about 1828 by Asabel Harvey to serve as a bookstore. He later left Geneseo and in 1863 the structure was purchased by Robert Patterson for $1,125.00 for use as a clothing store. He made alterations and improvements, including extending the front out toward the street and installing glass windows. In 1883, he built a 20’ x 20’ one-story addition at the rear. A few years later, he turned the clothing business over to his son, James, who continued to operate it successfully. James’ son, Jonas, took over the business about 1910. In 1923, the family, after 60 years in the clothing business in the same place, moved to a new location and sold the building to Walter Finley. He remodeled it completely for his furniture and undertaking establishment which he conducted here for a few years. Walter Barry purchased the building in 1929. He was a proprietor of the hotel adjoining it on the south and he used this as an annex. The Market Basket rented the lower floor in 1930 and remained here until it relocated across the street in 1935. A variety of businesses have occupied the site since that time.